Friday, August 30, 2013

800, 799, 798, 797...

It was fall break 2012. My family was on vacation, and I was left here to work. My mom said I wasn't allowed boys over, but of course I did it anyway. 

The day was spent listening to Mumford & Sons new album Babel, singing, cuddling, watching The Best Two Years, eating fudge and abnormally cheesy quesadillas. It was Friday Night Fight Night and the girls kicked the boys butts, even if they won't ever admit it. There was a broken toe, close encounters, and I was dying my hair in the bathroom. 

Three boys, three girls, and absolutely the best of friends. 

I remember sitting on the couch, listening to the boys sing and harmonize and thinking, does it get better than this? The orange trees, the crisp air, and three strapping young men laying on my floor singing? It can't. There's no way. But lucky for me, it did; it got better. Somehow they always made the next adventure better than the first. 

I remembered that today while I was running. We're coming up to that time of year in a few short weeks... Has it really been a year? Has that much changed? Are they really gone? 

When I can press "play" again in two years, we can pick up where we left off and play this growing up game together. Together in a way that wasnt possible before they left. 

I miss my big brothers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment